Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, located in Sydney is one of Australia’s premier tertiary referral hospitals and is recognized as a worldwide leader in healthcare excellence and innovation. RPA is part of a network of hospitals within the Sydney Local Health District. It is the principal teaching hospital of the University of Sydney.
RPA medical and nursing staff have made some outstanding contributions to healthcare during its 135-year history, including these Australian-firsts:
- First liver transplant
- First aortic valve replacement
- First nuclear medicine department
- First use of triage nurses
- First Perinatal Medicine Unit and first foetal heart monitor
- First major Haemophilia Centre
- First academic dermatology service
- First Gynaecological Oncology unit in Australia
- First psychiatric assessment unit for deaf and hearing impaired
- First sleep disorders centre in Australia
- First National Medical Cyclotron and Positron Emission Tomography Camera
RPA has a proud tradition of leading healthcare innovation and research in NSW, including:
- The first open heart surgery in NSW
- The first and only hospital in NSW to establish a Liver Transplant Unit
- The first coronary angiography in NSW
Westmead Hospital is the principal referral hospital for western Sydney, renowned for its comprehensive, highly specialised and complex services provided to its community, statewide and nationally.
Patients come to Westmead Hospital for treatment of major trauma, bone marrow transplant, renal transplant, pancreas (islet) cell transplant, neurosurgery, interventional neuroradiology, oral healthcare, radiation oncology, cardiology interventional services, cardiothoracic surgery, advanced gastroenterology, deep brain stimulation, neonatal intensive care, and services for adult eating disorders, complex epilepsy, complex dermatology, adult cystic fibrosis, and huntington disease.
Currently undergoing a $1.1 billion redevelopment program, Westmead Hospital together with its partners will be one of the largest health, education, research and training precincts in Australia.
But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complet
Westmead Hospital is known its for comprehensive and highly specialised services provided to the western Sydney community, statewide and nationally.
Patients come to Westmead Hospital for speciality services such as:
- major trauma
- bone marrow transplant
- renal transplant
- pancreas (islet) cell transplant
- interventional neuroradiology
- the Westmead Centre for Oral Health
- radiation oncology
- cardiology interventional services
- cardiothoracic surgery
- advanced gastroenterology
- the Adult Eating Disorders Service
- deep brain stimulation
- the Complex Epilepsy Service
- complex dermatology
- neonatal intensive care
- a cystic fibrosis service for adults
- the NSW Huntington Disease Service.
Westmead Hospital is a member of the Westmead Health and Education Super Precinct, with close relationships to The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, the University of Sydney, the Westmead Institute for Medical Research, and the Children’s Medical Research Institute.
Currently undergoing a multimillion dollar rebuilding program, Westmead Hospital with its partners will be one of the largest health, education, research and training precincts in Australia.